Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I know which visa is appropriate for my international applicant?
A: EDI will evaluate your position and the applicant and help you determine the best visa choice.

Q: I am interested in possibly using international workers, but donít want to deal with visas.
A: EDI can help you both with finding a good international workers and the visa paperwork.

Q: I need someone with some experiences. Can EDI help?
A: Our main program, the J-1 Professional Training Program requires applicants to have educational and professional experiences.

Q: Do applicants come to the United States for a host company interview?
A: No. EDI will set up telephone interviews for the host company. EDI can also arrange international recruiting tours for the host company depending on the need.

Q: How can applicants find a place to stay?
A: EDI can assist in arranging housing prior to the beginning of the program. Some host companies provide housing to applicants.

Q: Does the host company need to offer insurance to J-1 applicants?
A: Not necessarily. All J-1 Exchange Visitor programs (J-Visa) require applicants to have their own insurance.

Q: Can J-1 applicants extend their stay after completing the program?
A: No. There is a 1-month grace period after completion of the training program for applicants to travel within the U.S., but they must leave the country after that time.

Q: Why are there two different seasonal visas? What are the differences between J-1 and H-2B visas?
A: One, the J-1 Work and Travel, is for international students, while the H-2B is open for non-students as well. But the H-2B requires host paperwork.

Q: What happens if workers lose a position during the program?
A: Generally, once they lose their position, they lose their visa status and will need to leave the country. However, any problems with workers will be discussed with EDI before dismissal is made. And in extreme cases, transfer can be made.

Q: Is there any way to hire international people who are in the U.S.?
A: Yes. Recent college graduates can work under the Optional Practical Training program.

Q: What is an F-1 Optional Practical Training visa and how long is it valid for?
A: Optional Practical Training refers to a temporary employment authorization period up to 12 months. International students on F-1 status can apply for OPT to work full-time after completing of all course requirements for a Bachelorís, Masterís or Doctoral degrees or after graduation from these degree programs. The employment must be related to the studentsí major area of study.

Q: I just need unskilled workers who can start quickly.
A: We can help you bring in both international students and unskilled seasonal workers.

Q: Is there an annual limit on the number of international people to work in the U.S.?
A: Yes. Each visa type has its own cap. The H-Visas have a number allowed for the entire country. The number for J-Visa is determined by each sponsorís experience.

Q: How long will it take to get a new international trainee or worker to begin?
A: It depends on the visa being used, but it is safe to assume it will take a few months.

Q: Can dependents or a spouse come along with the participant?
A: Generally yes. Most visas have a related visa for spouses or dependents.

Q: Can an international participant leave the country during the program?
A: Generally yes, through there may be additional paperwork that needs to be completed before departing.

Q: Do we need to use a lawyer for application?
A: Depending on the jobs, yes. For J-1 Exchange Visitor visas, no. For working visas, yes. We can recommend our immigration attorney if a lawyer is required.

Q: Can EDI assist with international inter-company transfer?
A: Yes. There is a visa for that specific purpose.